Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Of Mice and Men

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry..." Or so the title of John Steinbeck's break-out novel suggests. My English teacher would be so proud, She thought all I did was pass notes to girls and shoot rubber bands during class. This weekend I discovered (again...) that the best-laid plans often aren't planned at all!

Rich drove up on Friday to pick up some of his belongings and take them back home. Home being Pennsylvania near the tri-state border (PA, DE, MD). After helping him and his family load up his half ton Chevy and a U-Haul Trailer I posed this question... "Rich, How are you going to unload all of this stuff when you get home?" To which he replied "I got it under control, blah, blah, blah..." It didn't take me long to realize that he needed a hand and I needed an excuse, any excuse, to get away for awhile. If even only for two or three days. Ironically enough I was standing near his truck before we left and being the funny guy I am, out came this wise crack, "Hey this thing got air conditioning? I knew I should have asked some questions before I signed on for this trip!" Sure enough the air conditioning quit shortly after getting off the New York State Thruway. Once again reaffirming my belief that I can forecast coming events, much like Nostradamus. Sorry Rich. Saturday evening found Rich and Me splitting a twelve pack of Modelo (some Mexican Beer Rich chose) and a delicious chocolate cake that Dolores made. Yes, chocolate cake and Mexican beer... I'll bet that's a short list of people who have enjoyed that culinary delight. Sunday we came up with this bit of engineering genius in order to stack his top box on his rolling base cabinet. I think this is the part where I insert a legal disclaimer stating "Do not try this at home. Death or Injury may occur. Or at least a good hernia..."

This is what it takes when your assembled tool box is as big as a Honda Fit. Seriously





My reward for helping with the "move" (besides a train ticket back home) A short jaunt around FairHill on this...

Carbon GF Superfly 29er. Sweet, sweet ride on even sweeter trails. Thanks to the Delaware Trail Spinners and all the others who help maintain the trails at Fairhill. You really do a fantastic job, making this my favorite place to ride dirt. Epic.

Thanks again to Rich and Dolores for the hospitality and good (if only too short) times. Now if only they would get a pool...

It's been awhile since my last post and I wanted to post some of my favorite photos from Le Tour.






























Does anyone know where I can get this (queer) hat? So I can fill it with my neighbors dog shit, light it on fire and then mail it to Spain.

And... It looks like Kim has her groove back, ALLEZ KIMMY!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kenny,

    Thanks again for the help and the company. It would have been a long time before I was able to assemble enough help and Modelo to get the box together. You know, it just occurred to me that I haven’t seen a live bug in the garage since Saturday night. Wonder what happened?
    Later,
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what gives with this blog? I am sick of coming here and not seeing updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it has been told. Adam scored an 11th place throwing the gauntlet down. What is your response? Pizza, Ho-Ho’s, Pepsi, or do you rise from dark shadow of your faux-patio to begin again? And what about your wheel sucking race dropping cohort? Do you drag him into the light to partake in the journey or leave him with his compass pointing eternally North? What say you!

    ReplyDelete